Wednesday 19 June 2013

Debugging a weird case of missing module in AngularJS and KarmaJS

When I was trying the  Running KarmaJS’s AngularJS example test/e2e/angular-scenario (on Chrome) I hit on the the following weird behaviour.

TLDR; the solution was to run npm install –g karma@canary

Setup

Chrome window opened in:

image

... a local website at port 8000:

image

… which is a nodeJS powered website, started using node server.js (below)

image

A simple (as I could make it) Karma.config.js file

image

.... and AngularJS test

image

Scenario A) Running from folder with karma clone (and npm install)

karma start ..\angular-scenario\karma.conf.js works OK

image

Scenario B) running from parent folder

karma start angular-scenario\karma.conf.js fails with a module is not defined error

image

So what I think is happening is that because I run npm install on the karma folder (the one I got from a GitHub clone), there are more modules in there than in the global karma (which I got when I installed karma using npm install –g karma)

At the moment there are 49 modules in the GitHub karma:

image

And 20 modules in the global karma install

image

So let’s try running npm install on this folder

image
image

And now there are 33 modules installed:

image

but that still didn’t work :(

At this stage I remembered reading something about installing the latest version of karma (globally), which is probably what I’m getting from the github clone, and that could explain the different number of modules.

So I executed npm install –g karma@canary

image
which installed ok:
image

Now runnig the scenario B) case throws a different error:

image

It looks that we also need install the karma-ng-scenario module

image

And now it works :)

image