Sunday 8 December 2013

Blogging is like speaking to my 'Future Self'

Speaking to our 'Future Self' is a concept that I have been thinking and rationalising lately.

Looking back I can see that I have been doing it for a while, but I think the first time I wrote it down was on this tweet:



The core idea is that Today I have a certain number of values, knowledge, tools and technology, that I hope will be shared by my Future Self (i.e. me in 1, 5, 10, 20 or 30 years).

The problem is that we all change, and since those changes tend to be small, it is hard to see how 'off-track' we might go (when compare to what we would find acceptable today).

We will also lose ideas that we have today, unless we find a way to make them real (like in a product) or document them (in a blog or book).

So I guess the reason I always had a instinct and attraction for publishing ideas and Open Sourcing code, is that unconsciously I didn't want to live in a world where:
  a) I lost access to what I created in the past and 
  b) I forgot about good ideas I had in the past (for a problem I would have in the present).