Friday 20 April 2012

GMail new design sucks. Google please learn from Apple not Microsoft

So it looks like GMail finally pulled the plug on using the 'old' Gmail design and is now forcing the 'new' design into its users.

The reason I don't like the new design is because I like the 'old' one ,and don't want to learn the new UI concepts dreamed up by Google designers.

Everytime I tried to use the new design I didn't like it. It didn't feel confortable and the things that I wanted to do where not dramatically simpler (or even intuitive). I'm sure that if I spent time with it I might start using it better (or be able to racionalize better why it sucks), but I have other things to do with my life.

This is the mistake that Microsoft makes over and over. Why do I have to learn how to do the stuff I already knew how to do? And if you are going to change it, at least it make a massive difference (for the better), but in a lot of case the number of steps are similar, only the path changes.

And this is where Apple (in most cases) gets it right. They are experts in making incremental changes that just feel 'right'

More and more I feel that it is important to have evolutionary changes (whose timeline can be moved back and forward), which btw,  is a sign of good engineering practices.

And it looks like I'm not the only one that fells like this:

  • http://heresthethingblog.com/2011/11/02/gmail-reader-mail/
  • http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/MY0kVJ9ACak
  • http://heresthethingblog.com/2012/04/19/gmail-heres-chance-google/ 
From the last link it looks like the only short term solution is to use the even older html-only version :(

Any ideas on how to get the GMail back to its previous state?

In fact, why doesn't Google provide a Git like history so we can revert back to the versions we like :)

30/Apr Update: Here are a couple solutions http://techably.com/make-gmail-older-look-permanent/4215/ (the bookmark one looks specially interesting)