Sunday 10 August 2014

Inconvenient Truth(s) on Application Security (presented in 2007 and still relevant in 2014)

Here and embedded below is a presentation that I did in 2007 at an SANS conference when I was working for OunceLabs.

Here are the 13 Inconvenient Truth(s) mentioned on that presentation (I'm not sure if I should be encouraged that I made some good points, or depressed on how little progress we have done in Application security over the past 7 years)
  • #1 There are no metrics!
  • #2 Global Warming ~ Software InSecurity
  • #3 Secure software doesn’t make business sense
  • #4 Our systems are safe today
  • #5 We will be doomed!
  • #6 The attacker's business model is still immature
  • #7 Physical Extremism doesn't scale (but Digital Extremism does)
  • #8 We need better engineering
  • #9 We need containment
  • #10 Open Source security is a myth
  • #11 Most Source Code must be disclosed
  • #12 Most IT Security products have negative ROI
  • #13 The 'digital Armageddon' will never happen
Here is the first slide where I start with the Inconvenient Truth(s) that Software/Application Security is a mess (in 2007 and today)



Here is the last slide where I mention my 2007 ideas for how to solve the 'Application Security' problem (and unfortunately, ideas that are still very relevant today (in 2014)):




Here is the full presentation: